- This Policy also covers PII which our business partners share with the Group.
- However, this Policy does not apply to the practices of companies that are not owned or controlled by the Group, or to people who are not employed or managed by the Group.
Collection and use of information
- We do not record PII from unregistered users who merely browse our Website and who do not register so as to become a “User” within the meaning of our Terms & Conditions. However, we do collect and/or record and/or track PII when:-
- a User registers with our Website;
- a User visits pages of our Website; and
- a User sends information by e-mail to us.
- We may combine information concerning a User with other information that we have (including PII) that we have obtained from business partners or other sources and we may use the combined information for marketing and communication purposes.
- At the time of Registration you are also asked whether you consent to receive direct marketing information by e-mail in the future (see below).
- Once you register as a User, you are not anonymous to us as these details are stored on our Christie & Co Property/Business Database connected to the Website (the “Database”). We collect and record this PII and use it to track and monitor, by electronic means, your use of our Website.
- In particular, we automatically receive and record information on our server logs from your own computer’s browser program (“your browser”), including your IP address, Christie & Co cookie information (see below) and the details that you have requested from the Website. Where you request information concerning a property from the Database we record that fact to enable us to supply the facilities of the Database requested. If you print out copies of sales particulars we record those details so as to be aware of the types of property information which are, or may be, of interest to you and we maintain a data record on our Database of all Users having an interest in particular properties by reference to that property number. We may contact you by e-mail, telephone or facsimile to acquaint you with any changes in the data relating to the property details which you have downloaded and, where we consider it reasonable to do so, details of any similar properties coming onto our Database which may be of interest to you.
- We also store information regarding the frequency of your use of our Website to archive your record automatically if you have not used the Website for a period in excess of 180 days. If this occurs, your status as a registered user will be automatically re-activated when you next login to the Website.
- We also may use PII for the following general purposes:-
- to customise the presentation of business information and other content of the Website;
- to fulfil your requests for certain products and services;
- to contact you periodically via direct e-mail marketing campaigns on a range of subjects that, we hope, will be of interest to you; and
- to compile general statistics (without personal identification) as to numbers using the Website, numbers of sales details viewed, total Site activity and other general statistical information.
- When a user visits our website, we use a number of first party session and permanent cookies. A cookie is a small amount of data, which often includes an anonymous and unique session identifier connecting the user to his/her session.
- We do not use or set any third party cookies.
- Cookies are sent from our website servers to the browser in the user's own computer, and are stored on the computer’s hard drive. These small pieces of information allow us to communicate with the user and provide the site in its full functionality.
- Cookies are either ‘permanent’ or ‘session’. Session cookies only stay in place for the duration of the user's session on the site. They do not track any information about a user or his/her behaviour and are not used to compile statistics. They do not collect or store any personally identifiable information.
- Our website cannot get to your e-mail address, name, address or other personally identifying information unless you have already provided that information to the site.
- Similarly, our website cannot access cookie information destined for another site. Your browser will only ever send cookies relevant to the site being displayed.
- Whenever you visit any page on our site, your browser will send back all the cookies that are relevant to our site and that your browser has accepted.
- You can configure your browser to accept or reject cookies, or notify you when a cookie is set. As every browser is different, you will need to check the “Help” menu of your browser to find out how to change your cookie preferences.
- However, if your browser is set to reject either all or even some of the cookies we use, your use of the site will be limited. It may not display correctly and you will not be able to take full advantage of every facility. For example, if you make a property search, the site may be unable to remember the list of matching properties that relate to your search.
- Here is a summary of the cookies we use on this website:
- ‘Language’ cookie. This is a first party, essential, permanent cookie, which expires after a year from when the site was last used. It is only used on the desktop version of the site. It is necessary to carry out a function requested by the user - ie present the site in the user's chosen language.
- ‘E-mail address’ cookie. This is a first party, non-essential, permanent cookie. It expires after a year from when the site was last used. It is only used on the desktop version and with registered users. It is used to pre-populate a registered user’s e-mail address on the login form. When a user logs in, the site can associate the user's session cookie with his/her user record for the remainder of the user's session. This cookie is used to remember who you are and therefore tracks your actions on the site. We need your consent to place this cookie on your computer and we do this through the registration process.
- ‘User identifier’ cookie. This is a first party, essential session cookie that stays in place only for the duration of a user’s session on the site. It is only used on the desktop version of the site. It contains a new unique number generated each time one of these session cookies is sent. It is used to remember the user's current position on the site and to allow the site to remember information from page to page, such as the list of matching properties found as a result of a property search. It is necessary to carry out a function requested by the user.
- ‘Mobile’ cookie. This is a first party, essential session cookie that stays in place only for the duration of a user's session on the site. It is only used on the desktop version of the site. It is used when users of our mobile-friendly website choose to view the desktop version. It is necessary to carry out a function requested by the user - ie present the user’s chosen version of the site.
- 'Google Analytics' cookies. Both the desktop and mobile versions of our site use Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google, Inc. (“Google”). Google Analytics uses a number of permanent, first party cookies to help us analyse (in general terms) how the site is used. The information generated by these cookies about your use of the site (including your IP address) is transmitted to, and stored by, Google on servers in the United States. Google uses this information to evaluate use of the website and to provide us with generic reports and statistical information. Google may also transfer this information to third parties where required to do so by law, or where such third parties process the information on Google's behalf. Google will not associate your IP address with any other data held by Google.
Direct marketing by electronic mail (e-mail and SMS text messaging)
- Where at the time of Registration you have specifically consented for the purposes of Regulation 22 of the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003 (and so long as you have not withdrawn that consent), we may contact you periodically via direct e-mail marketing campaigns or SMS text messaging on a range of subjects that, we hope, will be of interest to you concerning both the Group and its services and products, and those of our business partners and may use PII for such purpose.
- You have the right free of charge, at any time, to request that direct marketing communications sent to you by electronic mail by Christie & Co shall cease, by either amending your personal details using the My Account section on the Website, or sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org clearly indicating that you do not wish your contact details to be used for the purpose of direct marketing by e-mail in the future. We will process this as promptly as possible and in any event within 7 days.
- Calls made to some Christie & Co telephone numbers listed on this website might be recorded for quality or training purposes.
Information sharing and disclosure
- We will not sell or rent your personally identifiable information to anyone.
- We, will, however, send PII about you to other companies or people where we have your consent to share that information, or we need to share such information in order to provide the service that you have requested, or we need to send the information to companies who work on behalf of Christie & Co or as business partners of the Group in order to provide a service or product to you. (Unless we tell you differently, where these companies are outside the Group they do not have any right to use the PII that we provide to them beyond what is necessary to assist us).
- Members of the Group have registered their categories of Disclosure Subjects with the Information Commissioner in compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
- The Group complies with Court Orders, subpoenas and legitimate requests from lawful authorities who by statute or legal process command our compliance.
- We will also disclose PII about you in the event that your actions on our Websites violate our Terms & Conditions, or any of our usage guidelines for specific services.
Your right to edit and archive your personal identifying information
- Christie & Co gives registered Users the ability to edit their contact details or to cancel their Registration as a User at any time by using the My Account section on the website. Alternatively:
- telephone us on 01908 920560
- e-mail us on email@example.com or
- use the feedback facility on the Website.
- No charge is made by us for dealing with any such amendment or cancellation.
- The PII that Christie & Co holds upon its Database and upon the servers operating our Website is protected by specific ID Numbers allocated to you for your privacy and security.
- Where you visit the Christie & Co Shop, Christie & Co uses industry-standard SSL-encryption (with a security certificate which can be checked by your browser) to protect data transmissions and safeguard your ability to make secure payments by electronic means.
- We may amend this Policy from time to time. If we make any substantial changes to the way in which we use your Personal Identifying Information we will notify you by posting a prominent announcement on our pages.
- If you have any questions or suggestions please use the Feedback facility on the Site or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright Christie & Co 2013. All rights reserved.